Final Sketch 2: Examine single-framed, multi-path narrative (part 2)

The main idea behind this sketch was to figure out some technical aspect of making a single framed comic. Hence, I decided to use flash to execute this. I found a really basic tutorial from: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/319116
and hence, decided to use arrows to prompt the readers into clicking to go onto the next panel.


The use of flash is especially helpful here when it comes to the multi path approach. The use of arrow buttons indicates an obvious choice for the readers to choose which path to take.

 

Also, I find that due to the presence of multi-paths, readers might be interested in finding out what was the other ending that they have missed and would want an option to go back to find out. At the end of the comic, I have also included the option to either replay the entire comic again or to go back to the checkpoint where they will have the option of choosing the other path. This is very essential because many a times when I play flash games with alternate ending, I find it tedious to have to go back to the beginning to repeat the same plot till I reach the point where I get to choose. This is an important feature to bear in mind when constructing the final project.


One problem of using flash though, is that some devices will not be able to view this comic. Given that in today's' age where many owns smart phones, flash may not be the best technology used. However, I still feel that this is an interesting platform to experiment on and I am still pleased with how it turned out.

Comparing this method of comic representation to the mad scientist approach, I am more in favor of this one. This is more direct and not confusing for readers to navigate around the comic. Also, I don't always feel contrived to fit the narrative of the comic into the format of representation and can better express my story that way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment